It is the season of gratitude. A season that reminds us to take the time and give thanks for all our blessings. Why not show your appreciation this month by creating a gratitude book with your little one? Have your child choose a family member or friend that they are thankful for — I know, it will be hard to pick just one! Delight in a conversation with them about all the wonderful traits this special person has that you adore. Encourage them to think of a special memory they have shared with this person.
The giant, colorful beauty of a sunflower provides a great foundation for our DIY Book!
Construction Paper (yellow, brown, and blue)
- Have your child cut out a large brown circle from their brown construction paper. This book is a great opportunity to practice those scissor skills, so I encourage you to let your child free-cut their shapes. If you would prefer using a template, I have provided one HERE!
- Next, use the yellow construction paper to cut out your petal shapes. Again, feel free to free-cut or use the template.
- After your child has cut all their shapes have them recall your earlier conversation about their loved one. Have your child write the name of the person they chose on the brown flower center. Write a character trait about that special person on each petal.
- Once your petals are full assemble the flower using a glue stick. Then glue onto the blue construction paper cover piece.
- Use the writing paper to write a short story featuring that favorite memory!
- Complete the book by compiling the cover, the pages of your story, and a final blue piece of construction paper for your book backing. Staple to bind together.